What are the requirements (per the bylaws) for being a
Highland District Council Board Member?
- 12 of the 18 Board seats are divided by Grids. To represent a grid a person must be: 1) at least 18 years of age, and 2) a resident of the grid that the individual seeks to represent. Elections for even grids are held in even years and odd grids in odd years. It takes at least 3 votes from grid members to be elected to the board for a term of two years.
- 4 seats are “At-Large”. At large members must be over 18. 2 seats shall be up for election each year for terms of two years. At least three residents of District 15 must be present and eligible to vote in order to elect an At-Large Director.
What are the responsibilities of the Highland District Council Board Members?
- To respect the mission and goals
- To be an active participant in the discussions, meetings and activities of the council
- To attend all meetings of the board of Directors
- To serve on committees and or task forces established by the council
- To bring neighborhood concerns to the Council and explain Board decisions to the neighborhood
- To attend public events, forums and other meetings sponsored by the Council
- To fulfill the fiduciary duties of care, loyalty and obedience established by Minnesota law.
- To declare all conflicts of interest the member may have in business that is before the Council
- Observe the privacy and confidentiality of the organization
What are the expectations for individuals who serve as members of the Highland District Council’s Board?
- To participate in the projects/events sponsored by the Council
- To help recruit volunteers to participate and support community and Council projects /events
- To have a solution oriented attitude to community issues
- To have a positive attitude about the future of the community
- To have a high level of commitment to the community
- To commit the time necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of Board membership
What are the characteristics needed to be an effective member of the Highland District Council’s Board of Directors?
- Positive attitude
- Sense of humor
- Dynamic energy
- Action oriented
- Interest and concern in community issues
- Knowledge and/or expertise in any of the following areas is an added plus: communications, marketing, mediation skills, housing issues, legal skills, business or entrepreneurial skills, economic development, crime issues, finance, fundraising, culture and diversity issues, volunteer recruitment and management, lobbying, program planning and evaluation, community organizing, event planning, human resources and other skills.