Residents and Business Owners Property Damage or Loss – Assistance from the Department of Commerce

The Minnesota Department of Commerce stands ready to assist business owners, property owners and renters in your community that experienced property damage or loss.

Attached please find two documents, one for business owners and one for residential property owners and renters, that contains information on making and filing insurance claims on damaged property. Commerce is committed to providing information for people in your community can access relief as quickly as possible and avoid scammers who may attempt to take advantage of the situation. Please share these with your email lists or newsletters as needed.

The Department of Commerce’s Consumer Services Center (CSC) helps consumers with questions, concerns, or complaints involving insurance claims. The CSC can help consumers understand their rights, work with their insurer to settle a claim, and help Minnesotans make informed insurance decisions.

The CSC can be reached by phone at (651) 539-1600 or by email at

Please do not hesitate to reach out to Leah Wilkes at with any questions.

Residential Property Owner or Renter Tips

Business insurance claim tips