April 2016 (effective 4/4/2016)
- Both directions of Hwy 5 will be single lane with traffic traveling on the EB lanes of the Hwy 5 bridge.
- The ramp from Mississippi River Blvd/Shepard Rd to WB Hwy 5 will be closed.
- WB Shepard Rd/Mississippi Blvd will be closed at Hwy 5 for 60 days.
The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) will begin work this spring on a two-year reconstruction project of Highway 5 over the Mississippi River between St. Paul and Fort Snelling.
The project will begin April 13, 2015 and run through fall 2016, weather permitting. Work was originally scheduled to begin in spring 2014, but had to be rescheduled to 2015 since only one contractor bid on the project. MnDOT rejected the bid because the cost was too high.
The first year of construction will take place from April through Sept. 2015. During that time, the Highway 5 bridge will be reduced to one lane in both directions. Construction will then suspend and the highway will reopen to two lanes in each direction during late fall and winter of 2015-16. Work will resume in spring 2016 and be completed by early fall 2016. During that time, Highway 5 will again be reduced to one lane in each direction.
In addition to Highway 5, the project includes repair work on three additional bridges:
- Edgcumbe Road over Highway 5/West 7th Street. The bridge will close for 60 days during the first year of construction.
- Both Shepard Road/Mississippi River Boulevard bridges over Highway 5/West 7th Street. Traffic on Shepard Road/Mississippi River Boulevard will be reduced to one lane in each direction at Highway 5 during the first year of construction. Westbound Shepard Road/Mississippi River Boulevard will be closed at Highway 5 during the second year of construction. Motorists will be detoured around the closure via Davern Street, Sheridan Avenue and Prior Avenue.
Improvements will include:
- Removal and repair of bridge decks and concrete pavement
- Replacement of guardrails and medians
- Replacement of bridge joints and approach panels
- Cleaning and repainting of bridges segments
- Improvement of drainage structures
Crews also will resurface a portion of Highway 5 between the Mississippi River and Munster Avenue in St. Paul during construction.
For more information and specific updates related to auto and pedestrian impact during the project go to: Highway 5 Reconstruction. You also can sign up for project email updates on the website to help stay informed during construction.